Thursday, June 3, 2010

footnotes are always funny. trust me.

I wouldn't recommend this book for guys (because, you know, there's no way you could have gathered that from the picture), but Bad Kitty by Michelle Jaffe is the perfect summer beach read.

And I don't just say that because I got the worst sunburn of my life reading this book on a cruise ship several years ago.

The book isn't exactly what you'd think. While there's romance, friendship, and the hilarious over-analyzation that's a staple of comedic teen chick lit, Bad Kitty is actually a mystery/crime novel... and hilarious, to boot. I could summarize it for you, but to better give you a taste of the book, I'm going to copy and paste the summary on the jacket flap:

"Meet Jasmine,
1 forensic supersleuth,2 aspiring Model Daughter,3 and friend to animals.4 One second she's trying to enjoy her Vegas Vacation,5 the next she's tangled up in an outrageous adventure and has to outwit a crazed killer before he ends ten lives, one of them her own.6

1 Hi! That's me!
2 I. Wish.
3 Emphasis on aspiring. Current status: failing.
4 If friend means 'unsuspecting victim' and animals means 'one very bad kitty.'
5 And meet the cute guy at the Snack Hut. I have priorities.
6 Meep! But I guess it winds up okay since Kirkus Reviews says: 'Inventive, witty, and laugh-out-loud funny, with an enjoyably twisty ending.' They wouldn't say that if everyone died, right? Right?"

This synopsis is the reason for the title of my post, which is a bit of knowledge I've picked up from reading so much. Footnotes are always funny (you need more proof, you say? What, don't you trust me? Fine, here: The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, Freshman by Michael Gerber.)

And Bad Kitty is fraught with them, letting not only Jasmine but her friends comment on the action, and break the fourth wall. In fact, Jasmine's voice throughout is great, light and funny (but appropriately serious during the most dangerous action), caring, and quippy. Additionally, the mystery/murder plot is a fresh take on the YA chick lit novel, and exciting to read. It's the entertaining, likable characters that really make the book great, however. There's Jasmine's obnoxious cousin, who uses catchphrases such as "That's so Visa" (ie, everywhere you want to be), there's Polly, Jas's straight-laced best friend, and shy Tom, who have obvious chemistry, and finally gorgeous, bizarre Roxy, who could have any guy she wanted but only falls for weirdos.

Additionally, there are hints about there being more to the death of Jasmine's mother (several years prior to the start of the book) than it seemed, and this continues when Jas falls into even more trouble in the sequel, Kitty Kitty.

I read Kitty Kitty awhile ago, however, and so far haven't heard anything about another, even though the plotline about her mother is never resolved...

Anyway, grab the book, pull up some beach, and remember: use a lot of sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment