Friday, August 6, 2010

inspiration, and more things i find on the internet

So, once again, I was all gung-ho about posting, before discovering that while the book I was writing about wasn't a bestseller, the author was, and she's going to be just fine. In fact, the book in question already has one sequel published and another in the works.

Which, don't get me wrong, is great. I plan on reading those sequels as soon as I can. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I have no problem with bestselling books and authors. Don't think I wasn't ecstatic when I discovered that Kiki Strike: Into the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller, my would-be post, had a sequel, or when I saw the new Artemis Fowl book displayed prominently at a Borders, or discovered more books from some of my staple authors on the Barnes and Noble website (and we don't have to get in my love for the Harry Potter books again). In fact, one of my biggest dreams is to be number one on the New York Times bestseller list someday. It's a feat, and an honor, and oft times very deserved.

What's scary is that all that's available for us are bestsellers and new authors, and if those new authors don't cut it on their first books, that could be it. Just as mid-list authors are struggling to keep their careers going (and their stunning books on the shelves for their fans who so desperately love them!), it's becoming harder and harder for new authors to build careers.

I'm rehashing all of this because in my attempt to find a mid-list book I've read and loved to post about (which is getting harder, and harder, and harder), I stumbled across this.

(Personality quiz: did you impulsively click on the link, or patiently wait for my explanation?)

As always, any links I post are the opinions of the authors, but this is definitely an interesting read. Novelist Holly Lisle is starting a publishing company of her own dedicated to the career of the writer. You can read all about it in her post (and here it is again, for you patient people), but it covers what she sees as the problems in the publishing industry (a big one being the decrease of author backlists, which is fully explained in her post), and what she plans to do about it in order to save mid-list authors, and help fledgling authors build the promising careers they deserve.

To me, this is so inspiring. It's wonderful that people are willing to put so much into helping writers, and, in turn, readers, who will have so many more phenomenal authors and books to choose from if the mid-list comes back.

So get inspired! This could mean doing something on your own, getting involved in Holly's project, spreading the word about mid-list authors and your favorite mid-list books, writing your favorite mid-list authors to tell them how much you love their work and seeing what they're doing (author websites are also a great place to see what authors are up to), or simply (plug? perhaps, but well intentioned-- this is my activism, after all) following this blog and encouraging others to do the same. The more who follow, the more people will learn about mid-list authors (and hopefully discover some new books), and perhaps go out and do something-- or at least support their favorite authors by spreading the word and buying their books. So in that same vein, write and email me an original review of your favorite mid-list book, because they're getting harder for me to find! It can be any genre, any style, as long as it's mid-list. I'll post it under a guest reviewer's section.

No comments:

Post a Comment